Boko Haram Attacks Girls Secondary School, Dapchi Community In Yobe


LAGOS FEBRUARY 21ST (NEWSRANGERS)-Suspected Boko Haram members have attacked Government Girls Secondary School, Dapchi, in Burasari local government area of Yobe state.
The attack was confirmed by the Yobe state commissioner of police, Abdulmaliki Sunmonu. Sumonu confirmed the attack in an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
He said: “At about 5.30 p.m today, the suspected insurgents attacked Dapchi, headquarters of Bursari local government area.
“The details are not immediately available, we are still collating the details including the casualties.”
A teacher in the school, who escaped the attack, told Daily Trust that the attackers stormed the school around 7pm through the eastern part of the town.
“They shot sporadically and forced the school food store opened. We (staff) and the students ran into the bush for safety,” he said.
When asked, whether there was abduction of the girls he said it’s too early for him to comment on it. “For now, we can’t say anything until all the students returned tomorrow morning,” he said. A resident, Alhaji Ibrahim, said the attackers stormed the village in six Hilux vans through the eastern part while shooting sporadically.
“They forced some shops opened and stole food items. We are yet to know if there are casualties because, everyone in the town has scampered for safety. Some fled to bush, others into their homes.
“They also attacked military location at the town entrance bridge. But we cannot tell if there are casualties there,” he added.
The commissioner, however, said security operatives have been reinforced in the area to ensure total security.
Alhaji Zanna Abatcha, chairman Bursari local government council told NAN that the suspected insurgents have already left the town and more security operatives have been deployed to maintain security.
“The details are not known yet because it’s already night, we will get the comprehensive details tomorrow,” he said.
UPDATE
The Yobe state police command, today, Tuesday, February 20, disclosed that no life was lost in the attack.
Speaking to journalists, CP Sumonu revealed that there has so far not being any report of abduction of any of the girls in the school.
“We are still collecting the details on the attack, census of the girls and the general public,” he said.
He however said three males were later abducted by the insurgents in a remote community in Geidam Local Government Area after the attack on Dapchi.

Please follow and like us:

Related Post

Short URL: https://www.newsrangers.com/?p=2991

Posted by on Feb 21 2018. Filed under National, State. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

News Rangers TV

Recent Gallery Slideshow

Follow me on Twitter

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3,995 other subscribers