Saudi Govt Confirms Killing Of Journalist Inside Consulate

Kashogi


LAGOS OCTOBER 21ST (NEWSRANGERS)-Saudi Arabia admitted for the first time on Friday that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed in the regime’s consulate in Turkey, claiming he got into a “fist fight” that cost him his life.
The assessment by the Saudi attorney general was broadcast on state television.

The broadcast also reported that five top officials have been fired and 18 Saudi nationals detained as suspects in the death.
“Preliminary investigations carried out by the Public Prosecution Office into the disappearance of Saudi citizen Jamal bin Ahmad Khashoggi revealed that the discussions that took place between him and the persons who met him during his presence at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul [leading] to a brawl and a fist fight with the citizen, Jamal Khashoggi, which led to his death, may his soul rest in peace,” the Saudi prosecutors’ statement read.
“The investigations are still underway and 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested.”
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman — who critics says may have ordered the killing himself — was said to be leading the commission investigating the death.
The axed officials include the crown prince’s adviser, Saud al-Qahtani, and deputy intelligence chief Maj. Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri.
The attorney general also said Saudi King Salman has made a request for the “urgent need” to restructure the kingdom’s intelligence services.
The king ordered a committee of top government agencies to further investigate and issue a report within a month.
The international community has speculated for more than two weeks about whether the Saudis would hold anyone accountable for the Oct. 2 disappearance of Khashoggi, a critic of the crown prince and a columnist for The Washington Post.
Critics of the regime said the new explanation of what happened to the dissident journalist was beyond belief.
“To say that I am skeptical of the new Saudi narrative about Mr. Khashoggi is an understatement,” tweeted Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC).
“First we were told Mr. Khashoggi supposedly left the consulate and there was blanket denial of any Saudi involvement. Now, a fight breaks out and he’s killed in the consulate, all without knowledge of Crown Prince.”
Turkish officials have said Khashoggi was killed and dismembered inside the consulate. They claim the gruesome details were captured on an audio recording.
Earlier on Friday, President Trump said he might consider sanctions against the Saudis for Khashoggi’s killing, while hyping the US-Saudi partnership.
“Could be, could be,” Trump said when asked whether sanctions were being considered.
“We’re going to find out who knew what when and where. And we’ll figure it out,” Trump added.
On Friday night, the White House issued a statement saying the US would “advocate for justice that is timely, transparent, and in accordance with all due process.”
With Wires

Please follow and like us:

Related Post

Short URL: https://www.newsrangers.com/?p=19902

Posted by on Oct 21 2018. Filed under International. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

News Rangers TV

Recent Gallery Slideshow

Follow me on Twitter

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3,992 other subscribers

Photo Gallery

Designed by Nate Otaba